Its beginning to look alot like Fall yall!!
Well maybe not in Florida.. but a girl can dream! I’m all ready for pumpkin carving, wreath crafting and cinnamon scented candles!
These pumpkin bars are perfect for this time of year and are by FAR my most favorite of ALL of Jamie’s Protein Recipes!! I followed Jamie Eason’s Recipe CLEAN eating Pumpkin bar recipe with protein. But you could easily make this recipe without the protein powder. I also add a fun little layer of Cinnamon & Xylitol (sweetener) to the middle, to create a fun suprise when you bite into these badboys!
WARNING: they are DELICIOUS, it will be hard to just eat one. For real, put the fork down! But with only 55 calories a bar, you won’t feel guilty
- ½ C Xylitol Sugar (or Stevia) **Could substitue raw honey (use about 1/4th of a cup)
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground clove
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 – 15 oz. can of RAW pumpkin (**make sure to use 100% pumpkin puree NOT pie filling)
- 2 Cups of Oat Flour (or spelt flour)
- 2 scoops vanilla whey protein
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ C chopped walnuts (optional)
*Greek Yogurt Topping (Optional)
-3 TB of Plain Greek Yogurt (I prefer Chobani or Fage brand)
-1 TB of cinammon
-1 TB of Honey or Stevia
-1 TB of pumpkin puree
**optional – 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (I LOVE adding the protein powder because not only does it add more protein BUT it thickens up the topping so it like icing!)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spray a 9 X 13 Pyrex dish with non-stick spray.
- Combine first 11 ingredients and mix well.
- Add the final 3 ingredients (4, if adding walnuts), and mix until incorporated.
- Spread half the batter into the Pyrex dish.
- Take 2 TB of cinnamon and 1/4 a cup of xylitol, mix together and sprinkle over the batter (to create middle cinnamon layer)
- Pour remaining batter on top, bake for 30 minutes.
- Makes 24 squares.
- Let the bars cool and mix your greek yogurt topping, Spread a spoonful of the Greek Yogurt topping and savor the yumminess!
NOTE: You will need to store these in the REFRIGERATOR, they have no preservatives, so they will go bad quickly, if you keep them out.
Nutrition (without walnuts + greek yogurt): 1 square = 55 calories
Nutrition (with walnuts + greek yogurt): 1 square = 70 calories
(Picture Above) Mix all your ingredients together. Pour HALF the batter into the large casserole dish.
(Picture Above) Sprinkle your Cinnamon + Xylitol (or stevia) mixture onto the batter.
(Picture Above) Then pour the remaining batter on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Eat plain OR top with Greek yogurt + cinnamon icing!
I recently made a batch of these for a potluck for the Marriage Class David and I are taking at church. I was honestly a little nervous to go to a potluck since I have started Jamie Eason’s program BUT I was really proud of myself, I had a ton of fruit and veggies and ate my pumpkin protein bars for dessert And they were a HIT!! It was sooooo hard to pass on the cornbread, lasagna, pulled pork sandwiches AND carrot cake!! AH BUT I stuck to my guns. It’s really great to be able to bring a Healthy Option to a big dinner and actually have people eat it! Sometimes people make a “healthy” side dish and nobody wants it! HAHA But these were gone in like 5 minutes